Sunday, December 13, 2009

Spokane Trip: Bing Crosby

Im putting this out of order, but I forgot to post it after the Friday pictures. Friday Evening Michelle and I went to a screening of White Christmas and this was my experience.


My Evening with Bing Crosby

I forgot that I have something in common with Bing Crosby, we both grew up in Spokane Washington. Im here visiting family in Spokane and my older Sister took me to an awesome screening of White Christmas in the Bing Crosby Theater. Before the movie Bing's Niece Carolyn Schneider (who has written two books on Bing) and Howard Crosby, one of Bings Nephews along with another lady spoke about their memories of their Uncle. Bing wasn't one of those stars that was full of himself, he very much just wanted to be part of the guys. Howard told us about how he was on a road trip with Bing and he asked him what his most difficult moment was (thinking that his Uncle would say that it was trying to memorize a part or dealing with a tough director) But he said that it was singing "I'll be Home for Christmas" to a bunch of troops overseas and not breaking down himself to cry.

He started out singing and whistling all of the time, but actually started out wanting to be a lawyer. After High School some friends formed a band and then later he and another member took a job at the very theater that had the screening to perform before all of the movies back when they did that. This lead him to decide to pursue singing in Hollywood.

He's actually had more #1 hit songs then any performer. Bing Crosby 38, Beatles 24, Elvis Presley 18, Michael Jackson (17 I believe)

The best part of the evening was the first part of the movie and just hearing Bing's "I'll Be Home For Christmas" overpower you on the big screen. I love his deep voice.

No comments: